• 帖子数: 814
  • 苹果币: 1
【抛砖引玉】天金的译名
« 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 09:22:56 »
PF1中天金描述的翻译:
http://www.goddessfantasy.net/bbs/index.php?topic=55642.0

PF2中大巴扎的天金店
http://www.goddessfantasy.net/bbs/index.php?topic=128936.msg1139545#msg1139545

这几天研究了一下七种天金Abysium, Adamantine, Djezet, Horacalcum, Inubrix, Noqual, Siccatite. 也咨询了一下作者。
但除了Noqual的作者James Jacob还记得自己怎么发明的Noqual以外,另一个作者James Sutter已经忘光了自己是怎么想到这些名字了,这里先贴一下两位作者的回复:
剧透 -  James Jacob:
Most of these were invented by James Sutter, with the exceptions of Orichalcum and Adamantine (which are from real world mythology) and Noqual, which was invented by me decades ago for my homebrew.

The main thing about noqual in my homebrew was that it was the element that blocked teleportation in particular, but also other magical effects. I was inspried to create it to give an actual material to the "mysterious ores in the deep underground reaches before the Underdark was named anything at all that prevent you from teleporting around in those underground areas becasue 1st edition AD&D often used limiting things like this to prevent high level characters from overly relying on high level stuff."

So that when you were in an area with a lot of noqual surrounding you (like in the case of noqual veins of ore in a cave, or a brick room with mortar laced with noqual) you couldn't teleport in there.

I came up with the word itself by making a sort of portmanteau of "no quality" as in "no quality of magic can affect this metal."

I suspect abyssium is more to do with the scientific use of the word for a deep dark area rather than any actual ties to the Abyss.

Personally, I think that most, if not all of these skymetal names in-world would trace back to pre-Earthfall Thassilon, as we've canonically stated that they used a lot of this stuff in their high-end powerful magic and creations (the most significant of which was the Sihedron itself).

More of it came to the world in Earthfall (which is where a lot of that stuff got into places like the Inner Sea region and northern Arcadia), and shortly thereafter in Numeria after Divinity crashed there. But there was a fair amount of it going on in Thassilon before either of those events.
剧透 -  James Sutter:
I'm afraid it's been so long that I don't entirely remember the process. (For instance, I would have guessed that I invented horacalcum as well, but it turns out Plato beat me to that one. :P) As for how I named them... I have a lot of different approaches when naming things. Sometimes I start from an idea, as with Abysium. That one's basically radioactive material, so I knew I wanted to use the "-ium" ending of our own plutonium and uranium, but then figured the energies unleashed would probably horrify the first folks who discovered it—they'd seem evil and fiendish, right? So I combined the suffix with the Abyss to get Abysium.

For the others, though, I suspect I found a bunch of common mineral endings (-ite, -um, etc.) and then looked for syllables that sounded interesting to put in front of them. (Sometimes I'll translate a related word into a bunch of different languages to get ideas, but I can't remember if I did that here.) One of the reasons horacalcum seemed so familiar is that it feels like something I'd do—it's related to time, and has traces of words like "horology" and "calculate" clearly visible in there.
James Sutter的回复中比较关键的思路是,他会把某个词翻译成其他语言后当成前缀再接一个定性的后缀。
所以接下来的内容是我试图进行逆向工程来还原的猜想。

Abysium:渊铀
    这个比较明显,是Abyss和代表元素的-um结合在一起,是命名人觉得和深渊有关的放射性元素。

Admantine:精金,这个不说了

Djezet:血铜 血汞
    荷兰语Dje zet意为搬迁,移动,行动等。我认为想强调的点为“动态之物”,因此Djezet是永非固态的流动金属。按描述,Djezet是锈红色的液体,因此用红色的液体血搭配红色的金属铜组合成译名。
血是红色。如果表现流动形态,血汞怎么样

Horacalcum:山铜
    PF1的这个词在这个版本中已经改成更常见的Orchicalcum,即山铜,原词的Hora=Hour, Calc=Calculation,描述了与时间有关的性质。

Inubrix:虚铅
    拉丁语ĭnūbĕr和法语inūber都是瘦弱,衰弱,虚弱的意思,因此Inubrix是如铅般柔软的金属。取虚弱的虚和虚体的虚加上铅组成译名。

Noqual:零晶 绝晶
    作者解释为no quality of magic can affect this metal. 非常直白。Noqual的外貌和水晶非常接近,于是用代表无的零和水晶组成译名。

翻译完大巴扎的Noqual后发现这玩意儿比起不受魔法影响,更加是剧烈排斥魔法(还能用来反射魔法),改一个更有力量的,禁绝魔法的水晶。

Siccatite:漠石
    拉丁语Sicca意为干燥,例如Sicca Syndrome即干燥综合征,后接-ite后该词意思为“干燥的矿石”。干燥在极热和极冷的情况下都能呈现,例如炎热的撒哈拉和严寒的南极都是非常干燥的荒漠。取荒漠的漠和矿石的石组成译名。
« 上次编辑: 2021-10-23, 周六 19:16:11 由 Garrise »
莉维娅:限制解除AB
莉维娅:2D+26 回避
DiceBot : (2D6+26) → 2[1,1]+26 → 28
莉维娅:打击干扰
莉维娅:(???
DM:(????

离线 原子能青蛙

• 版主
  • 帖子数: 4245
  • 苹果币: 3
Re: 【抛砖引玉】天金的译名
« 回帖 #1 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 09:29:12 »
我觉得都很不错。在大巴扎里有7种天金的插图,你也可以结合图片和颜色综合考虑。总体来说如果要我用译名的话,我会采用这个版本。
剧透 -  签名折叠:

线上 璀璨星炬

• 版主
  • 帖子数: 2808
« 回帖 #2 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 09:29:18 »
蛮不错的
但是大巴扎里有一家天金店,你可以去看一眼里面天金的性质,如果对的上的话,就用这些译名。
理想的译法是这样的:先把原文看懂,照原文译出来,看看念不念得下去,试删掉几个不一定用得着的字,看看是否有损文义和文气。如果有损,再补回来。试把不可少的字加进去,看看是否超出原文范围,增减以后和原文再校对一次。有些地方是否译错,语气的轻重是否恰如其分,原文的弦外之音译文是找不找得到?原文的意思要消化;译文的文字要推敲。有经验的译者可能一下笔就译好了,不过还是要推敲的时候多。

离线 四月

• Flawless
  • 帖子数: 4154
  • 苹果币: 15
« 回帖 #3 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 09:33:56 »
作者忘了还行,以及为考据找到作者也太拼了哈哈哈
没有团,为什么还要翻译规则呢?
当然是为了友情了

离线 十五夜冬叶

• Guard
  • 帖子数: 186
  • 苹果币: 0
  • 一般路过触手怪x
« 回帖 #4 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 11:37:08 »
强而有力,强而有力啊——!
讨论,都可以讨论,思想与经验显然是交流之后——
等等...那个又黑又粗又大的东西是什么!?
不要朝我开炮啊——!#逃走

离线 临渊

• Adventurer
  • 帖子数: 31
  • 苹果币: 0
« 回帖 #5 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 12:36:06 »
血是红色。如果表现流动形态,血汞怎么样

线上 希尔

• Chivary
  • 帖子数: 1165
  • 苹果币: -1
  • 带头大鸽
« 回帖 #6 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 12:42:35 »
Orichalcum这个名字一直有,虽然词源上是山+铜,但在这个语境里完全看不出山来……当时我翻成了奥铜。

结合每个天金的别名,如果是我译的话大概是下面这样(更倾向于用金/铁的传统泛用词缀?):

渊铁(又名feverstone,疫石):
精金(又名Numerian steel,纽梅利亚钢)
血汞(又名quickiron,迅铁)
奥铜(又名horacalcum,宙金)
幽铁(又名ghost metal,鬼铁)
虚晶
枯铁
见证了丢人的币+1

线上 璀璨星炬

• 版主
  • 帖子数: 2808
« 回帖 #7 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 12:53:05 »
Orichalcum这个名字一直有,虽然词源上是山+铜,但在这个语境里完全看不出山来……当时我翻成了奥铜。

结合每个天金的别名,如果是我译的话大概是下面这样(更倾向于用金/铁的传统泛用词缀?):

渊铁(又名feverstone,疫石):
精金(又名Numerian steel,纽梅利亚钢)
血汞(又名quickiron,迅铁)
奥铜(又名horacalcum,宙金)
幽铁(又名ghost metal,鬼铁)
虚晶
枯铁

疫石的话和plague stone的译名撞车了
理想的译法是这样的:先把原文看懂,照原文译出来,看看念不念得下去,试删掉几个不一定用得着的字,看看是否有损文义和文气。如果有损,再补回来。试把不可少的字加进去,看看是否超出原文范围,增减以后和原文再校对一次。有些地方是否译错,语气的轻重是否恰如其分,原文的弦外之音译文是找不找得到?原文的意思要消化;译文的文字要推敲。有经验的译者可能一下笔就译好了,不过还是要推敲的时候多。

离线 Garrise

• Hero
  • 帖子数: 814
« 回帖 #8 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 20:07:01 »
血是红色。如果表现流动形态,血汞怎么样
唔,血汞确实会好一些,谢谢
莉维娅:限制解除AB
莉维娅:打击干扰
莉维娅:(???
DM:(????

离线 笨哈

• 版主
  • 帖子数: 3822
  • 苹果币: 6
« 回帖 #9 于: 2021-10-22, 周五 23:55:13 »
Noqual:零晶
    作者解释为no quality of magic can affect this metal. 非常直白。Noqual的外貌和水晶非常接近,于是用代表无的零和水晶组成译名。

既然难以被魔法影响,我觉得「堕晶」感觉比较贴近。